REC Group unveils the Alpha Series at Intersolar Europe – the world’s highest power 60-cell solar panel
- Industry-beating power reaching 380 watt-peak
- Over 20% more energy production and added value for the home owner
- Leading technology expertise from Europe and Singapore
- Unique cell technology and patented panel design
CEO Steve O’Neil is thrilled with the Alpha: “At REC, it is the next generation which matters. And we trust in the power of next-generation technology. The Alpha is a completely fresh take on solar power generation. It opens up a big power gap beyond what is commercially available today. By offering such a high value solar panel, REC is again setting new trends, and creating a ‘win-win-win’ opportunity for REC, our partners and solar professionals, as well as home owners and business who want to make a difference for the next generation.”
REC Alpha technology boosts efficiency
Emerging from REC’s leadership in half-cut cell technology, the Alpha is built around 120 half-cut heterojunction cells (HJT) and advanced connection technology, designed by engineering experts from Germany and Singapore. With HJT, REC combines the benefits of crystalline silicon solar cells with those of thin film technologies for much higher efficiency and energy yield, even at higher temperatures.
Other product highlights:
- Two versions available: with white backsheet (up to 380 Wp), and as a full-black panel for stunning aesthetics (up to 375 Wp).
- REC’s pioneering and award-winning ‘Twin Panel’ design: Introduced in 2014, this delivers demonstrably better performance in shaded conditions.
- REC’s commercialized half-cut cell technology: The Alpha features high efficiency n-type mono wafers between thin layers of amorphous silicon.
- REC’s unique frame design: The 30 mm thin frame construction allows more panels per pallet, an easy installation and allows the Alpha to withstand snow loads of 7000Pa.
- Industry-leading warranty: 25-year product warranty on installations by REC Solar Professionals (otherwise 20 years), and a 25-year power output warranty.
- Even better for the environment: Manufacturing of REC Alpha solar panels requires less energy, which is further reducing the carbon footprint.
A ‘best-choice’ product with strong added value
The Alpha delivers the world’s best power density on a 60-cell module, a key consideration when space is tight – like on any rooftop. With the REC Alpha Series, customers will get over 20 percent more power from the same area and the same number of panels – or, put other way, the same energy output from less space. This reduces the Balance of System (BoS) costs. In addition to better economics, customers can also look forward to an increase in the value of their property: several studies in various countries show that a premium solar installation on the roof is adding value to the property and is a highly desired extra for home-buyers, not least due to the better energy performance rating.
Alpha meets new-build energy directives
The Alpha’s industry-beating energy efficiency will make it far easier for new-build owners to meet Zero Energy performance directives like in the European Union or California, U.S.1 For a 20 kW solar installation at a multi-apartment property, for example, 70 panels with 300 Wp, or an area of 140 m2, would be required. But with the 380 Wp of the REC Alpha Series, the building would only need 50 modules, or roughly 100 m². For rooftop installations with limited available space, in particular on tower buildings in cities, high power solar panels are therefore a key enabler for these building concepts.
REC shipments are traditionally driven by the rooftop segment, for which REC analysts expect 22% growth in 2019. The stronger push by governments for zero energy buildings in the EU, the USA (notably in California) and Japan, is expected to further fuel this market.
1 In the European Union, all new buildings are required to be Nearly Zero Energy buildings by the end of 2020; in California, U.S., starting in 2020.
For further information please contact:
Head of Global PR, REC Group
Tel.: +49 89 4 42 38 59 39
E-mail: agnieszka.schulze [at] recgroup.com
REC Solar EMEA GmbH
80804 Munich, Germany
Managing Director: Cemil Seber
Court of Registration: Munich HRB 180306
VAT ID-No: DE266243545
About REC Group:
Founded in Norway in 1996, REC Group is a leading vertically integrated solar energy company. Through integrated manufacturing from silicon to wafers, cells, high-quality panels and extending to solar solutions, REC Group provides the world with a reliable source of clean energy. REC’s renowned product quality is supported by the lowest warranty claims rate in the industry. REC Group is a Bluestar Elkem company with headquarters in Norway and operational headquarters in Singapore. REC Group employs 2,000 people worldwide, producing 1.5 GW of solar panels annually.